Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dave's Primary Predictions

Though I am new to the political insider processes, I am quite familiar with the Oklahoma political candidates and thought I would share with you some of my prognostications for this evening.  I have found some of the races to be very interesting, others, not so much.  Remember - these are not necessarily my votes, but my predictions.  Starting at the top of the ticket...

GOVERNOR
(GOP)
I predict Congresswoman Mary Fallin to win the nomination without a runoff.  Senator Brogdon has run an aggressive campaign and his volunteers have been intensely supportive and they have done a great job in getting yard signs out. 
(Democratic)
Lt. Governor Askins has been working exceptionally hard, but Attorney General Drew Edmondson will win in what I predict will be a particularly close race, seeing Askins carry much of rural Oklahoma.

LT. GOVERNOR
(GOP)
Without much effort, State Senator Todd Lamb will win and face Democratic State Senator Kenneth Corn.

STATE AUDITOR & INSPECTOR
(GOP)
Gary Jones, former Republican State Party Chair, will squeak out a victory in this primary because a lot of people remember his promise not to run for State Auditor, but also know that he played a major role in ousting the Democratic trouble-maker Jeff McMahan.

ATTORNEY GENERAL
(GOP)
Scott Pruitt will win in a very close race against the son-in-law of former Oklahoma Governor-turned lobbyist Frank Keating. 

FIFTH CONGRESSIONAL RACE
(GOP)
This is obviously a fun race because whomever wins will have to face me in November and that is something I can assure you they are not looking forward to.  My favorite candidates are obvious:  Dr. Roy, Rick Flanigan and James Lankford.  Why?  Because they are not your typical candidates for public office.  They are not attorneys, they are not career politicians and provide a fresh insight for voters.  Roy and Rick are business owners, they understand the nuance of running a business and that, my friends, are what we need in Washington (which is why I am running).

I fully suspect that Kevin Calvey will find himself in a runoff with James Lankford.  And yes, I look forward to facing either of them in the general election this November.

This is going to be a great evening.  Let's enjoy it.