Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Issues: Immigration

Immigration reform at the federal level is long overdue. While Washington drags its heels, states like Oklahoma are forced to adopt a patchwork of immigration laws that add to the chaos of a system already broken. For the sake of both our national and economic security, Congress should act quickly to adopt common sense solutions to close our porous borders. We cannot claim this country is safe nor can we protect American workers and taxpayers when we do not know who is here and whether or not they are working legally.

I support the creation of an employer e-verification system to confirm the legal status of employees. This will enable us to successfully control the flow of immigrants into the U.S. and discourage employers from hiring workers who have come here illegally.

We should ensure that the rule of law always prevails and those who have broken our laws intentionally are not rewarded with amnesty. Additionally, special privileges, like in-state tuition, should not be offered to those living in this country illegally nor should it be allowed for the children of these illegal immigrants.

The operative word here is "illegal."  Other candidates for Congress talk about their stand on illegal immigration when history shows that they themselves have been responsible for part of the problem and have saddled taxpayers with the additional financial burden therein. 

I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.  My resume', my positions don't change with the flow of the political and emotional tide as measured by polling numbers.  It requires leadership to accomplish real immigration reform and my friends, I am that leader.