Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Issues: Earmarks

I support adopting a moratorium on earmark requests until the process can be reformed. While I support the ability of Members of Congress to target federal funding to high-need projects in their districts, the earmarking process has become symbolic of the out-of-control spending in Washington. I look forward to reforming this process to hold Congress accountable for its spending initiatives and ensure Oklahomans’ hard earned taxpayer dollars are used wisely and frugally.

Members of Congress have a responsibility to be good stewards of the American tax dollar and when you send me to Washington, you'll have a Congressman who believes in good stewardship.  I lead by example - I have no debt myself.  If I can do it, so can our federal government.

The accountability and visibility of earmarking is essential, but the projects earmarked have far too often been regarded has wasteful spending.