Thursday, June 24, 2010

The GOP Used To Be "Independent"

For those of us over the age of 40, we can remember the days of Ronald Reagan and how it seemed as though the Republican party was on track to do great things.  It took a while to gain control of Congress, but unfortunately, the Republican party had forgotten one of Ronald Reagan's greatest quotes:

"Government is not the solution to our problems.  Government IS the problem."

The idea that a small oligarchy was to control the vast majority of the message, the direction and the candidates of the Republican party at one time in our history was considered ludicrous.  Today, however, we have forgotten Reagan's words and more and more Republicans leave High School with the dream of being part of the government, looking for work on the taxpayer dime. 

That isn't what Reagan intended, it's not what our founding fathers intended, but it is part of the reason we have the problems we do today.

I've been invited to speak frequently to very diverse groups of men and women who all have one thing in common:  They are sick and tired of the status quo that has been spoon-fed to voters over the last decade.  I was recently told that "unless you run as a Republican, you have no chance of winning your race for Congress."  I smiled, realizing that those who believe that are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem.

The Republican party used to believe in competition, trumpeting the cause of free market systems but apparently in politics, some in the Republican party would prefer the status quo.  An Independent conservative with a record of success, a record of proven leadership scares the hell out of some people in the establishment because they know that I can speak the truth without fear of reprisal.  They know that I am running for this post because the people of the 5th Congressional District need representation that isn't owned and operated by special interest money or a small oligarchy.

Another question that arises is whether or not my candidacy could potentially get a Democrat elected because I take votes from Republicans.  Again, balderdash.  My candidacy appeals to Blue Dog Democrats who are fiscal and social conservatives, who believe in the 2nd Amendment and support our Constitution yet are generational Democrats.  In addition, my candidacy appeals to both conservative and moderate Republicans who desire real change from real leadership who has the record to back his/her rhetoric.

Think about it:  When you compare my record of service, my record of success in the private sector and my degree in economics from the Naval Academy to that of my opponents, which of the candidates running right now have the ability to stand up to the likes of Nancy Pelosi and the hardcore liberal elites?  Will a lawyer who owes favors to special interests?  Will a career politician with no tangible real world experience?  I'm a Navy SEAL and Desert Storm veteran - Washington elitists don't intimidate me.  Special interests don't intimidate me and neither does their money.

Someone brought up the race between Gary Richardson, Brad Henry and Steve Largent as an example of how "dangerous" my candidacy is to the Republican establishment.  First off, I am not Gary Richardson - I am not a trial lawyer.  Secondly, while I admire the efforts of a professional football player-turned Congressman, when a reporter sticks his microphone in my face, I can handle it.  Thirdly, Brad Henry ran as a conservative Democrat, but when push came to shove, it was clear that he was not what he said he was and he was and is little more than a career politician just like others running in the 5th District right now.

Let's review:
  • I am not Gary Richardson, a trial lawyer. 
  • I am a proven leader with a record to back it up.
  • I am not a career politician.
  • My record of service was not contrived so I could run for office.
  • Republicans who remember Ronald Reagan's warnings will support my candidacy.
  • Conservative Blue Dog Democrats will support my candidacy because I am not bought and paid for by the GOP oligarchy.
  • I am not beholden to any special interest except my God, my family, my country and my brothers and sisters in the 5th Congressional District.
The people of Oklahoma's 5th Congressional District are in for a welcomed surprise.  They will see in me that which they see in themselves - the desire and ability to change how we elect members of Congress, to elect someone to Congress who knows the problems we face and has the solutions to those problems.  They will see that we in Central Oklahoma will once again be the model for other campaigns across the nation.  They will see in me a reasoned, focused leader who knows that this is not the best job I will ever have, but a job that needs to be done by someone who started with nothing, but through determination and belief in the American dream has become successful.

To be sure, there are members of both parties who truly desire to do the right thing.  They are working hard to improve our quality of life, to see Oklahoma live up to its potential.  I see that.  I know that.  On November 2nd, the people of Oklahoma have the opportunity to snatch control of their government back from the grips of special interest.  I humbly ask for your vote to do just that.

I leave you with this to ponder...words from Ronald Reagan.